Our St. John of the Cross Parish Program encompasses all aspects of Youth Ministry, which includes a well-rounded and traditionally Catholic experience of catechesis, service, social, prayer, and worship opportunities.
Faith is something we live every day of our lives and we intend to focus on this process of living out the Gospel call Jesus extends to all of us: Come follow me! We give to you a sound doctrinal and spiritual base as we prepare you to live your life as an adult Catholic in today’s church.
Overview of the Program
- Mass Attendanceis the most important element of Confirmation preparation and is required weekly. As a Confirmation candidate and adult in the church, you are asked to join our faith community each week to worship and praise God through the Mass. This celebration and receipt of the Eucharist (Holy Communion) deepens your friendship with God and those in our prayerful community.
- Holy Thursday Mass is a required Mass for confirmation students. Students will be asked to participate in this Mass and it is a way to serve in a Liturgical Ministry.
- Confirmation Sessions provide instruction and catechesis in an interactive atmosphere geared towards youth. Each year students will be expected to attend all 7 of the programs. Dates for the programs will be handed out at orientation.
- Service is essential to our mission as Catholic Christians. Serving others is an integral part of becoming a disciple of Christ. Our Confirmation program offers all teenagers a diverse range of opportunities to serve others.
- Parish opportunities include Apple Harvest Picnic, Breakfast with Santa for children, St. Patrick’s Day Bingo for seniors, Lenten Soup suppers, Kids Night Out, and other opportunities that come up throughout the year.
- A week long annual mission trip which offers a great experience for service outside our church and with students from other parishes. It will take place during the summer and gives students a unique opportunity to serve and grow alongside their peers.
- Liturgical Ministry service isperhaps one of the most transformational parts of our faith life as Catholics in the united celebration of the Mass. We encourage our teenagers preparing for Confirmation to serve our parishioners through serving as altar servers, ushers, choir members and lectors. These ministries help unite the importance of the Mass with a ministry of service to our church.
Ninth grade/year one students are required to perform 15 hours of service.
Tenth grade/year two students are required to perform 20 hours of service.